Saturday, September 12, 2009

Education-the bane of my life

Seventeen out of twenty years of my life i have lost in studying.From the time i started my conscious life to this very day one thing which has never left following me ,is education.Throughout; my life's worth has been judged by one sole parameter and that is my academic achievements.Being a person from a modest family,the only way that was shown to me to excel in life was 'academics'.Never have i learnt anything but maths formulas and physics concepts.Never have i played anything but scramble.Never have i taken pride in anything but my academic record.Never have i been taught lessons of life but maths lessons.
We are always expected to excel in every sphere of life but are never provided with any encouragement to pursue our interests.All the gifts that we get are subjected to only one condition i.e. score marks or surrender gifts.Many say that their parents never force them to study ,never buy them things in lieu of marks.If this is so then my dear friends -'you have been good in studies throughout your life'.
No one can be cynical about benefits that education offers but my argument is why one has no right to study all subjects till class tenth and why do have only two options(Science and Commerce) to choose from in class 11.Do we only want scientists and economists?Why can't we have other subjects like political science,home science and arts etc as options in class eleventh.Why is that choosing of subjects is only after 10th ...why cannot be it from class 6th onwards.
If we want through professionals in every field then we ought to train students from class 6th onwards.In our system of education no one chooses subjects in class eleventh based on their liking but according to marks they have scored in boards.Students on one side ,even schools allow children to take only those subjects in which they have scored decent marks in boards.To justify our choice at the time of interview(job or college) we keep on opting subjects in which we have scored good marks not the one in which we interest.
Educational boards have encouraged only rote learning.In boards we have larger share of marks reserved for theory and rest for practicals.How can we have effective workers when our practical knowledge in zero.For instance i have scored good marks throughout my B.C.A. but my practical knowledge when it comes to building applications and web-sites in comparable to zero.My marks may be better but my practical knowledge is in totters.We respect only marks not knowledge.Let me tell you some things about how practicals are conducted in class twelfth boards but before that one more fact-In ICSE boards there is no practical exam for class tenth students.Now let me tell you how effective are class twelfth practicals.In my school before board practicals we were told about the correct reading in advance,what was expected of us was not accuracy in terms of experiment but in terms of reading.Do not blame my school only because other schools were no different.
Our Education Minister may have abolished class tenth boards but what is left to be abolished is parochial and single dimensional route that is available to us for education.Let us try to give a child what he wants to study not what he hates to study.

No comments: